How to Do Foot Reflexology?
Reflexology is a healing practice for a better health by applying pressures on the foot and the palm. It is a technique to stimulate the nerves in the foot to the corresponding body parts. It is popular all over the world and we do not have sufficient evidence to support as for where it was first originated.
I used to do foot reflexology for years and couldn’t distinguish its benefits apart from the yoga exercises. It is common among the people today to go for foot reflexing therapies and spas. Even though it has no scientific evidence for its effectiveness, many people utilize it as an alternative therapy for relieving stress, getting relaxed and refreshed. Such people admit the soothing experience of foot reflexology.
Have you ever noticed the changes in the mind and body while walking barefooted in your courtyard?
The researcher says that walking barefoot for 10 minutes daily can indeed enhance your immunity. Various pressure points get stimulated while stepping on an uneven surface which mimic the effect of foot reflexology. And, also the unwanted charges stored in the body will be earthed.
There was a popular custom in ancient India to touch the ground with the right hand after waking up from the bed. It’s the traditional way of showing reverence to the mother earth before placing the foot on the ground. Some people believed it as superstitious or considered it as not beneficial to them and abandoned it.
The scientific explanation is that, while touching the ground with the hand, the static potential stored in the body during sleep is grounded through it. The unwanted stored potential generated during sleep is at maximum while waking up from the bed than at any other times.
Most of the heart attack happens in the morning while stepping on the ground. So, when one touches the ground with the right hand the direction of the electrostatic potential is directed in such a way as to favor the direction of heart’s biomagnetism. This concept was mentioned in a magazine. (Scientific citation needed.)
Similarly, foot reflexology works with the hypothetical energy Qi. A vital force present in everyone. It is the ancient practice related to acupuncture and acupressure having various pressure centers. When pressing various pressure points in the sole of legs, it reflexes certain organs in the body. (Read also Minor Energy Centers in the Body)
Foot reflexology is a technique by pressing or squeezing the foot using the thumb. Anyone can do it for themselves by following these simple procedures. It is similar to the techniques I mentioned in the article ‘6 Simple Effective Yoga Exercises for Healthy Body.’
Foot Reflexology Procedures
Sit in a comfortable place and use your both thumb simultaneously for pressing the sole.
It is recommended to press and hold for 3 – 4 seconds.
1. Begin from toe finger and continue pressing every inch of the sole to the heel.
2. Continue pressing the inside curve of the foot beginning from base of the heel to the side of the toe, then to the heel. Execute it like the movements of a caterpillar.
3. Now change the direction upwards from base of the ankle to the back of the knee and return back.
1. Pressing the thumb reflexes the brain, pituitary, and pineal gland.
2. The reflexes of the eyes and ears are located on the base of other fingers.
3. The sinus nerve stimulation is located at the tip of all fingers.
4. The reflexes of the genitals and reproductive organs are located on the sides of ankles.
5. Pressing the area just below the thumb reflexes the thyroid gland whereas by pressing center of the sole reflexes solar plexus.
6. The curve of the foot sideways represents the curve of the spinal cord.
7. The feet have distinct sections and each part represents particular organs of the body.
Benefits of Reflexology
1. Reflexology is not meant for the treatment of chronic diseases.
2. Remarkable changes in one’s mood can be noticed after the therapy.
3. It helps to increase intoxicants and reduce the inflammation.
4. Reflexology helps one to relax, so it is easy to fall asleep quickly when done before going to bed. (Read also Effective Ways to Sleep Faster at Night)
5. Reduce the mental waves and calms down the mind.
6. Enhance the blood circulation of the body.
7. Open congested and blocked nerve pathways.
8. When done daily increases immunity and one becomes less vulnerable to diseases.
9. Prevent acute rheumatism and arthritis.
10. Relieves the stress and helps to alleviate body pains.
11. Balances the energy of the various parts of the body.